Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue April 3, 2012
Wildcat Sculpture Installed at UK Campus
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Perfect timing. A day after winning the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, a larger-than-life bronze wildcat sculpture was installed at the University of Kentucky campus.
“It takes into some attributes that were considered important by the university and the alumni, specifically sort of a grace and cunningness, and an intelligence in its appearance, but also that they wanted it sort of in motion,” says artist Matthew Palmer.
The UK Alumni Association commissioned and paid for the sculpture. It’s not the first mascot that artist Matthew Palmer has designed for a university, but after witnessing the excitement of the basketball team’s title victory, the Washington native says he’s a fan.
“It’s a tremendous honor and of course last night when I was feeling the energy and the enthusiasm of all those people, it really brought it home just the significance of it.”
The nearly 8-foot-tall wildcat sits across from Memorial Coliseum. A public unveiling and dedication ceremony is scheduled for April 20.