Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu July 3, 2014
The Stage Is Set For Patriotic Concert
Tonight Independence Day festivities continue in Lexington with a revamped Patriotic Concert on the campus of Transylvania University.
There were blue skies and a cool breeze as music filled the air last night while a few onlookers relaxed on Morrison Lawn at Transy. It was a perfect evening for a final rehearsal of tonight’s show, which is headed up by Dr. Everett McCorvey, Director of the UK Opera Department. “We’re very excited about it. We are preparing for the July 3rd Patriotic Concert on the lawn of Transylvania and we have some new characters performing this year. The 202nd Army Band of the Kentucky National Guard and students from the UK Opera Theatre and also some of the cast of ‘It’s Grand Night for Singing.”
One shining star will be Staff Sergeant Charis Strange. A former student of Dr. McCorvey’s and a featured performer with the 202nd Army Band of the Kentucky National Guard. “It’s surreal. It’s just amazing, fantastic and I’m so honored to be here as a soldier singing for the Fourth of July for this city. It’s just a tremendous honor.”
Lexington’s Patriotic Concert is tonight at 8:00 pm at Transylvania University and is free to the public.
Friday, July 4
Bluegrass 10K (7:00am)
Street Festival (9:00am-6:00pm)
Fireworks Presented by Thorntons (10:00pm)
Various Downtown Locations