Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri January 16, 2009
Score One For House Speaker Stumbo
By Kentucky Public Radio
Frankfort, KY – A recent article in the Lexington Herald-Leader questioned whether some of Rep. Greg Stumbo's business relationships posed conflict of interest problems, since he's now Speaker of the House. Stumbo said they didn't and immediately sought an opinion from the Legislative Ethics Commission.
After reviewing Stumbo's connections to a community bank, an energy company, an investment corporation and his son's law firm, the commission staff says it sees no conflict. Commission director Anthony Wilhoite says the state constitution contemplates that Kentucky's part-time lawmakers will have employment and positions in the private sector.
Stumbo released a statement saying the opinion "should remove any innuendo implied by the newspaper article."