Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon March 5, 2012
Report: 'McCain To Call For Air Strikes On Syria'
" 'After a year of bloodshed, the crisis in Syria has reached a decisive moment,' McCain will say Monday afternoon in a speech on the Senate floor, according to excerpts obtained in advance by The Cable."
McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, crossed party lines last year to support the U.S. role in the allied air campaign against the forces of Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
So far, the Obama administration has not endorsed the idea of military action against Assad. The United Nations estimates that more than 7,500 people have died in the year or so since protests against the Assad regime began.
McCain has previously said that anti-Assad fighters need to be supplied with "weapons, tactical intelligence, communications equipment, financing, and medical supplies." And, he has said, "we should also explore measures that can be taken to disrupt Assad's ability to command and control his forces."