Most Active Stories
- Get ready... here comes the next WUKY Phoenix Friday... This Friday... featuring Ben Sollee.
- Electricians Aren't Magicians, But Their Rabbits Disappear, Too
- Opening Date For Urban Outfitters, Midway Program Announcement And Country Boy On BizLexChat
- Distillery District Abuzz, Ky. Companies Cash In At Valhalla, On BizLexChat
- Picnic With The Pops To Feature Songs Of Elton John
Mon June 16, 2014
Radio Host To Run For Ag Commissioner
A Kentucky radio host says she will seek the Democratic nomination for state agriculture commissioner in 2015.
Jean-Marie Lawson Spann said in a news release she plans to formally announce her candidacy on Wednesday morning in Frankfort followed by a statewide tour to talk about her plans.
For the past 10 years Spann has hosted the "Jean-Marie Ag Show," a weekly radio program focusing on state and national agriculture news. She is the former secretary of the Kentucky Democratic Party State Central Executive Committee and was a delegate to the 2004 Democratic National Convention.
The commissioner of agriculture is the only statewide constitutional office not held by a Democrat. Republican James Comer has held the seat since 2012. He is a possible Republican candidate for governor in 2015.