Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon June 16, 2014
Radio Host To Run For Ag Commissioner
A Kentucky radio host says she will seek the Democratic nomination for state agriculture commissioner in 2015.
Jean-Marie Lawson Spann said in a news release she plans to formally announce her candidacy on Wednesday morning in Frankfort followed by a statewide tour to talk about her plans.
For the past 10 years Spann has hosted the "Jean-Marie Ag Show," a weekly radio program focusing on state and national agriculture news. She is the former secretary of the Kentucky Democratic Party State Central Executive Committee and was a delegate to the 2004 Democratic National Convention.
The commissioner of agriculture is the only statewide constitutional office not held by a Democrat. Republican James Comer has held the seat since 2012. He is a possible Republican candidate for governor in 2015.