Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue January 13, 2009
New CPE Prez Eager To Get Started
By Kentucky Public Radio
Frankfort, KY – After conducting a national search, the Council on Postsecondary Education announced in December it was hiring Robert King as its new president. Sixty-one year old King is the former chancellor of the State University of New York, or SUNY.
He replaces Thomas Layzell, who retired in September 2007. Last spring, interim CPE President Brad Cowgill resigned under pressure after Governor Steve Beshear complained he was hired without the legally required national search.
After leaving New York, King chaired a charitable foundation in Arizona. He initially was scheduled to start work in Kentucky in April, but his early arrival means he will be in the commonwealth when the 2009 legislative session resumes February 3rd.