Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 2, 2010
Markey Cancer Center Now a "Sister Center" With Facility in China
By Brenna Angel
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- – The Markey Cancer Center at the University of Kentucky now has an international partner in the fight against cancer. Markey adopted the Jiaotong University hospital in Shanghai, China as its "sister center."
Markey Cancer Center Director Dr. Mark Evers says China and Kentucky have similar battles with certain types of cancer, including colorectal and lung cancers.
"They used to never see colorectal cancer but now that's become an epidemic so I think they can learn a lot from us in terms of colorectal cancer treatment. Lung cancer used to not be a problem in China, now it's exploded; It's a big problem here in Kentucky as well."
Evers says Friday's declaration only formalizes what he calls a mutually beneficial exchange of researchers and ideas that has been developing for years.