Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Thu May 14, 2009
Lotsa Slots Talk In Frankfort This Week
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – House Speaker Greg Stumbo and Speaker Pro Tem Larry Clark met for an hour-and-a-half with Governor Beshear to discuss the current state of Kentucky's horse industry. Stumbo wants video slots at horse tracks and the governor's pondering the need for a special session to balance the state budget. Is there a connection between the two? Governor Beshear. "Well, I haven't made any decision yet about a special session or what the topics would be if we have one. We did talk about the state of the horse industry in Kentucky - the fact that it is in financial crisis."
Speaker Stumbo believes video slots is the best mechanism for saving the horse industry, while also generating new revenue for the state. But Stumbo says if there's going to be a special session, legislative leaders and the governor should have a general agreement on the direction they're going to take before the session begins.