Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed April 23, 2014
KY Jail Using Fish Hooks To Solve Plumbing Problem
A western Kentucky jail has an idea to stop inmates from clogging up the plumbing by flushing everything from blankets to jeans down the toilets.
The Daviess County Detention Center in Owensboro has installed fish hooks inside the pipes to catch items that shouldn't have been dropped into the commode. Jailer David Osborne says the hooks allow employees to go in and pull out the larger objects.
Before the fish hooks, the Regional Water Resource Agency had to send workers to a lift station behind the jail up to three times a week to unstop clogs. “Those commodes are capable of flushing anything,” Osborne said. “I guess (the inmates) are just bored.”