Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu June 27, 2013
Kentucky Kingdom Developers Look To Reopen Big
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The group intending to reopen Kentucky Kingdom is planning a big expansion of the now-shuttered Louisville amusement park.
Those plans include introducing a new roller coaster and doubling the size of the water park.
Ed Hart, who heads the group, said Thursday it's part of an aggressive plan to introduce new attractions each season to win over visitors and keep them coming back.
Kentucky Kingdom is scheduled to reopen in May 2014. It closed in 2009.
The expansion plans were announced shortly after state and local officials signed agreements required for the park's reopening.
Hart says the new roller coaster and expanded Hurricane Bay water park will be ready in time for the reopening. Also planned is a makeover of a suspended looping coaster that will be ready in 2015.