Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue March 26, 2013
Kentucky Children's Hospital Fundraising for Major Renovation
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Kentucky Children’s Hospital is working to raise $6 million for a major renovation project. The facility hasn’t been updated since it was built in the 1990s.
“We’d like to have more family spaces; we’d like to have more capabilities for families to use their electronics. The bathrooms are really old and outdated. So it really just needs a major facelift,” says Murray Clark, interim Chief Financial Officer for UK Healthcare.
The UK Board of Trustees recently approved the capital project, which will be paid for with private funds. Initial fundraising through Dance Blue and private donations will allow the project to move forward.
“What we’re going to do now is use some of those funds to do some of the rooms and get them renovated and up to the standards we’d like to have for children. And then we will use those rooms to help us seek more donations,” says Clark.
The renovation must also be authorized by the Council on Postsecondary Education and the state legislature’s capital projects committee.
The same architecture firm that designed the new UK Chandler Hospital is also working on layout and color choices for Kentucky Children’s.