Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu May 3, 2012
Jobless Claims Dropped By 27,000 Last Week
There were 365,000 first-time claims for unemployment insurance filed last week, down 27,000 from the week before, the Employment and Training Administration reports.
The decline was more than economists expected, Bloomberg News says. Reuters says the news "could ease fears the labor market recovery was stalling." Claims have basically been trending around a four-year-low level for much of this year.
We'll learn much more about the health of the labor market on Friday, when the Bureau of Labor Statistics is due to report on April payroll employment and the April unemployment rate. In March, BLS has reported, the jobless rate was 8.2 percent.