Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed March 17, 2010
Instant Racing Bill On Life Support
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Georgetown Sen. Damon Thayer is putting his instant racing bill on hold in the Kentucky General Assembly. The bill had been returned to Thayer's committee for radical surgery, but in the face of mounting opposition, Thayer didn't call it. Thayer still believes Gov. Beshear has the authority to use the regulatory process to bring instant racing to Kentucky.
But opponents, like Say No To Casinos, say instant racing is just another form of expanded gambling not allowed under current Kentucky law. Instant racing involves the use of electronic machines to bet on thousands of horse races previously run.