Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue May 19, 2009
Homeless Tally To Be Released Soon
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Last year in Kentucky, there were more than 81-hundred homeless men, women and children. That's about 75 more than two years ago. Davey King of the Kentucky Housing Corporation says a new count was scheduled for late January, but was interrupted by the ice storm. "Doing a point-in-time count across the state is a huge undertaking. And when we had to reschedule that, it really did impact the availability of volunteers, the amount of outreach we were able to do, so, we feel, it did impact the data that we were able to collect."
Next week in Frankfort, Governor Beshear is scheduled to release the data that was collected. The governor is also expected to announce the use of some of Kentucky's federal stimulus dollars for homeless programs in the commonwealth.