Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon February 17, 2014
Funeral Set For Snake-Handling Preacher
The funeral for a snake-handling pastor who appeared on National Geographic's "Snake Salvation" is set for Tuesday in Middlesboro.
Pastor Jamie Coots died after being bitten by a snake at a weekend church service in Kentucky. Coots was handling a rattlesnake at his Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name Church in Middlesboro when he was bitten on the hand Saturday night.
Police said an ambulance arrived at the church Saturday evening but emergency workers were told Coots had gone home. Authorities said Coots initially refused medical treatment and when emergency workers return later that night, the pastor was dead from a venomous snake bite.
The pastor's son, Cody Coots, told the television station his dad had been bit eight times before, but never had had such a severe reaction.