Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Fri July 31, 2009
Fancy Farm Picnic To Pack 'Em In This Weekend
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – The epicenter of Kentucky politics on the first Saturday in August is a small Catholic parish not far from the Mississippi River. Any politician bold enough to mount the stage at the annual Fancy Farm picnic is in for some good-natured heckling from the crowd, which often exceeds 10-thousand. Mark Wilson, who organizes the political speaking, says this year's event will feature at least seven candidates or potential candidates for the U-S Senate seat now held by Sen. Jim Bunning. "They have filed with the FEC and they will be allowed to speak at the 129th annual picnic this time."
Four are Democrats. The rest are Republicans. The race is wide open now that 77-year old Sen. Bunning has announced he won't seek a third term. Bunning decided to forgo the campaign after struggling to raise funds.