Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu March 3, 2011
Council Votes To Back Gray's Bid To Oust Fire Chief
By WUKY Staff
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Lexington Urban County Council is backing Mayor Jim Gray's effort to dismiss fire Chief Robert Hendricks.
At their regular meeting Thursday night, Council members had originally planned to vote on a "no confidence" resolution, but Councilman Ed Lane introduced a change
"supporting the mayor and administration in moving forward with the process to correct the management issues in the Division of Fire and Emergency Services."
The council's vote was unanimous, with council member Julian Beard absent. Chief Hendricks has been criticized by the mayor for repeatedly letting firefighter overtime exceed its budget.
Hendricks was asked to resign on Monday but has yet to respond. Public Safety Commissioner Clay Mason is overseeing day-to-day operations until an interim fire chief is named.