Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed April 7, 2010
Coach Cal - Local Celebs Help Get Lexington To Start Walking
By Young - Lytle
Lexington, KY – Hundreds gathered in Lexington's Triangle Park to take part in a community-wide exercise effort. American Heart Association spokesperson Jennifer Ebert says they wanted to get the word out that walking is good for your heart.
Kentucky Coach John Calipari and his coaching staff were on hand to share their stories and lend a little star power to the event.
Assistant Strength Coach Scott Padgett says it was the on-court collapse and death of UK signee Jonathan Stewart that got him to think seriously about heart health.
Participants were encouraged to walk, or jog for a half an hour on specially installed treadmills. UK Healthcare staff helped out the cause with free health screenings. Kentucky has the fifth highest rate of heart disease in the country.