Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri June 4, 2010
Celebration For Capitol's 100th Birthday
By Tony McVeigh
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- – Kentucky's historic State Capitol is now 100 years old. The limestone and marble building, which cost $1.8 million to construct, was dedicated on June 2, 1910.
David Buchta of Historic Properties is inviting Kentuckians to a centennial celebration on the capitol lawn Saturday.
"We'll have hamburgers, hotdogs, cold drinks. We will have entertainment. We'll have Kentucky crafted artists from all over the state. There will be tours of the Capitol and the Governor's Mansion from 10:00 to 2:00."
At a gala tonight in the Capitol rotunda Friday night, four murals depicting the state's rich history will be unveiled.