Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon February 22, 2010
Budget Hearings Expected This Week
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – House members don't have an actual budget bill yet. That should come this week. But they do have a broad outline of the spending plan. Agency heads and university presidents have all appeared before budget subcommittees, and budget chairman Rick Rand sees no need to repeat that process. "Obviously, some of the agencies that feel like they're more adversely affected, we may hear from them, for them to make their final pitch. But the subcommittees have done that work and I think they're pretty close to concluding their work."
Rand still expects to get the budget out of the House by the first week of March. That would leave three weeks for Senate consideration and final budget negotiations before the session takes a 10-day break for possible gubernatorial vetoes.