Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue October 27, 2009
Beshear Defends Judicial Appointment
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – The judgeship for Dan Kelly is the second time in three months Beshear, a Democrat, has chosen a Senate Republican for a key appointment. In July, Beshear put former Sen. Charlie Borders on the Public Service Commission. Beshear says both men were qualified for the positions, but he doesn't deny he'd like to see a change in the leadership of the Kentucky Senate, which is controlled by Republicans. "We need to have senators and representatives that are open-minded and will work with me on various issues. And we've had one issue that I don't think various senators have been open-minded about, and that is the gaming issue."
Beshear says, if asked, he will campaign for the Democratic candidate in December's special election to fill the Senate seat formerly held by Dan Kelly. The Democrat in the race is former Rep. Jodie Haydon, who's taking on Republican Rep. Jimmy Higdon.