Most Active Stories
- To everyone that came to WUKY's Phoenix Fridays... THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
- Free Speech Exercised, Tested At UK's Constitution Day
- New Deal For Centrepointe Garage And Town Branch Trail Extension In BizLexChat
- Satirical Senate Candidate To "Endorse" Biggest Fundraiser
- Pics Related To UK Shooting Case Released
Fri August 24, 2012
Barrio Basketball In El Paso, Texas
A summertime basketball camp can cost a kid several hundred dollars. But the Basketball in the Barrio camp — held just two blocks from the U.S.-Mexico border in El Paso — costs just one buck.
Actually, only a portion of the camp is about basketball, says co-founder Rus Bradburd. The experience is sponsored by Athletes United for Peace, a group that tries to promote peace and harmony through sports.
Each camper gets a bilingual book, peace poster, basketball and t-shirt. And kids are introduced to reading lessons, storytellers, mariachi groups, folklorico dancers and artists. And crossover dribbling.