Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue February 18, 2014
ACLU, Planned Parenthood Rally Youth In Frankfort
About 50 high school and college students gathered for Reproductive Freedom and Youth Rights Lobbying Day in Frankfort Tuesday.
The group included members of the ACLU of Kentucky Reproductive Freedom Project, Planned Parenthood of Indiana and Kentucky, and the Muhammad Ali Center Council of Students.
Derek Selznick with the ACLU told reporters his group is hopeful two measures in particular could be winning issues for them during this General Assembly session.
"We have seen a lot of momentum, especially around the fairness issue, and this really bleeds out to other ones. The dating violence bill we've seen has gained momentum in the Senate. We're hopeful of its chance of passage as it gets back out of committee. And with fairness with Speaker Stumbo signed on we're very excited about its chances," he said.
Speaker Stumbo became the 17th co-sponsor of House Bill 171 Monday. The legislation would outlaw discrimination on basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in housing, employment and public accommodations.
Tuesday’s event set the stage for a larger Fairness Rally set for Wednesday at the Capitol.