Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
Wed August 7, 2013
Winchester Moving Toward Sunday Alcohol Sales
WINCHESTER, Ky. - Winchester lawmakers are one step closer to legalizing Sunday alcohol sales at restaurants in the city.
A draft ordinance allowing Sunday sales won the unanimous support of the Winchester Board of Commissioners Tuesday. If passed, the measure would permit restaurant-goers to purchase alcoholic drinks between 1 PM and 10 PM on Sundays.
Commissioners say Winchester restaurants’ proximity to the Hamburg area in Lexington is putting the establishments at a competitive disadvantage. Still, a group of citizens opposed to the change did attend the meeting to voice primarily religious concerns.
The ordinance, which would not affect package sales, is slated for a first reading August 20, followed by a second reading and possible final passage on September 10.