Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Tue April 22, 2014
Where Do Your Taxes Go? (Graphic)
With the April 15 deadline past and your taxes (hopefully) filed, you may find yourself wondering...
Just where did all your money go?
If you're curious about your federal taxes, you can use the White House's official Taxpayer Receipt feature. After entering how much you paid in income taxes and for Social Security and Medicare, the calculator lets you know what your taxes bought.
While Kentucky doesn't offer a taxpayer receipt tool, you can find some answers at a site called Open Door. There you'll find out how your tax dollars are being applied, a breakdown of department and agency budgets, up-to-date salary information for state employees, along with searchable databases of grants, contract information, and line item expenditures.
For a simple chart of state government priorities (based on 2013 data), click the graphic below.