Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri September 14, 2012
Weekend Events Take Lexingtonians Around The World
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Lexington’s Chinese and Latino populations are both celebrating this weekend with two of the largest cultural festivals of the year.
The traditional Chinese Moon Festival, which is often compared to Thanksgiving in the United States, will be held at the Moondance Amphitheater Saturday starting at 4 PM. Kentucky Chinese American Association spokesperson Bill Jing says the moon cake tasting, Chinese dances, and artwork competition are meant to connect two cultures.
"The purpose for this event is [to] present Chinese culture to Americans and, more importantly, to the Chinese American young kids," Jing says.
And taking place over the entire weekend is the Festival Latino, which draws tens of thousands of visitors. Festival spokesperson Irene Jarman says it will get off to a colorful start this evening.
"Friday night we have our traditional tropical night, but this year we have Brazilian Carnival," she says.
Most of the events take place at the Robert F. Stevens Courthouse Plaza. Saturday will feature live Latin entertainment, followed by Health and Sports Family Day at Masterson Station on Sunday.