Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon May 20, 2013
WATCH: A Train Wreck Of A 'Star-Spangled Banner' Performance
Originally published on Mon May 20, 2013 6:27 pm
Imagine: You're tapped to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the Memorial Cup, a Canadian hockey tournament being held in Saskatoon. Midway through, you realize you don't know the words. What do you do?
Well, on Saturday, the Canadian jazz singer Alexis Normand decided to just keep going and mumble the rest. It's cringe-inducing, but also really funny. Watch:
Normand, by the way, sent this tweet shortly after her performance:
"I'm embarrassed and deeply sorry. I wish I'd had more time to learn the American anthem. Thanks so much for the crowd's help! #memorialcup"
Salon gives her some solace. It rounds up the "worst national anthem fails." Among them: Michael Bolton, who had to stop midway to read the lyrics off his hand.