Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
Wed November 7, 2012
Veterans Appreciation Week Brings With It A Variety Of Events
LEXINGTON, Ky. - A wide variety of events honoring veterans are taking place this week in Lexington and across the state.
Veterans are being recognized for their service in a number of ceremonies, meals, and gatherings around town. On Thursday, Lexington VA Medical Center Director DeWayne Hamlin will speak to guests at Fasig-Tipton. Tom Baker, Bluegrass Military Affairs Coalition chair, says veterans are encouraged to attend an event at Henry Clay High School on Friday.
"We have five soldiers who have served in Afghanistan and Iraq coming in to talk about their experiences and we'll have veterans from World War II on probably attending," he says.
A special announcement by Mayor Jim Gray is scheduled during the event. The Kentucky state parks are also offering discounts to members of the military and their families throughout the weekend. Some restaurants, including Golden Corral and TGI Friday’s, provide free meals to veterans during the week as well. Baker says it’s a great time to connect with those who have served.
"There is just a smorgasbord of things offered to the public to allow them to see and talk to veterans and show their appreciation," Baker says.
A complete listing of events and times in Lexington and the rest of the state can be found at bmaconline.org.