Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Thu February 7, 2013
University Construction Projects Bill Sails Through House
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- The University of Kentucky's football stadium would get a facelift under legislation approved by the House on Thursday.
Six public universities would spend $363 million on construction projects under the legislation that cleared the House on a 97-1 vote.
The biggest expenditure would be $110 million to renovate UK's Commonwealth Stadium. Morehead, Murray, Northern and Western Kentucky universities also would get upgrades, as would the University of Louisville.
The legislation now goes to the Senate for consideration.
The top selling points for the proposal are that the projects will be paid for by the universities without any General Fund money and that they will create more than 5,000 construction jobs.