Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon April 9, 2012
UK's Recently Departed Publicly Memorialized
The University of Kentucky has once again publicly thanked and eulogized every member of the campus community who died this past year during its third annual UK Remembers Memorial Service.
The event featured a rendition of “My Old Kentucky Home” by UK School of Music Professor Dennis Bender, as well as music from Paws and Listen, a UK student accappella group.
Family, friends and colleagues heard words of comfort from representatives of the school’s student government association, alumni association, faculty and staff senates, as well as UK President Eli Capilouto.
"While the individual light of those who we remember today have been extinguished we remember the ways they touched our lives. We express gratitude for their commitment, and we honor their contributions to keep bright the light of the promise of that shall never fade from this commonwealth", Capilouto told those assembled outside UK's Main Building.
After the service, attendees were invited to express their thoughts and wishes by signing a special memorial wall which will be displayed on campus in the near future.