Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Sat March 22, 2014
UK Women Cruise Over Wright State 106-60 In Opening Round Romp
The UK Women's team used its home court advantage to full effect in the opening round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament with an easy victory.
Jennifer O'Neill scored 21 points, Samarie Walker added 12 with 14 rebounds and third-seeded Kentucky crushed No. 14 Wright State 106-60 on Saturday.
Hosting their first NCAA women's postseason game, the Wildcats (25-8) used home court and other advantages to overwhelm an undersized Raiders squad making their tournament debut. Kentucky shot 55 percent from the field, grabbed a school-record 67 rebounds and recorded a season-high 12 blocks.
The Wildcats will face the winner between No. 11 Chattanooga and No. 6 Syracuse in Monday night's second round of the Notre Dame Regional.
Walker had her season's ninth double-double at halftime. The Wildcats achieved their season best in blocks early in the second half.
Janee Thompson added 14 points, Linnae Harper 12, DeNesha Stallworth and Bria Goss 11 each and Azia Bishop 10 for Kentucky.
Kentucky will take on Syracuse Monday night in Memorial Coliseum.