Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
Fri April 6, 2012
UK Student Charged With Torching Car During Basketball Celebration
LEXINGTON, Ky. - A University of Kentucky freshman has been charged with arson after an overturned car caught fire in the wake of the Wildcats' Final Four win over Louisville on Saturday.
University officials identified Daebrion T. Hopwood of Elizabethtown as the person arrested on State Street Thursday. Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Ed Davis told the Lexington Herald-Leader that at least two more people thought to be involved.
According to court documents, Hopwood was recorded on video putting lighter fluid on a sweat shirt, "which was then ignited and thrown into the overturned vehicle.''
Hopwood was booked into the Fayette County Detention Center on a $2,500 bond. Jail records did not list an attorney for Hopwood.