Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 6, 2012
UK Student Charged With Torching Car During Basketball Celebration
LEXINGTON, Ky. - A University of Kentucky freshman has been charged with arson after an overturned car caught fire in the wake of the Wildcats' Final Four win over Louisville on Saturday.
University officials identified Daebrion T. Hopwood of Elizabethtown as the person arrested on State Street Thursday. Lexington Fire Battalion Chief Ed Davis told the Lexington Herald-Leader that at least two more people thought to be involved.
According to court documents, Hopwood was recorded on video putting lighter fluid on a sweat shirt, "which was then ignited and thrown into the overturned vehicle.''
Hopwood was booked into the Fayette County Detention Center on a $2,500 bond. Jail records did not list an attorney for Hopwood.