Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri April 25, 2014
UK To Rebury 1956 Time Capsule
University of Kentucky officials are set to rebury a time capsule discovered during the construction process underway at Woodland Glen.
Workers chanced upon the capsule, buried sometime in 1956, during the demolition at Cooperstown. Not surprising – as UK Director of Housing Implementation Penny Cox says the 58-year-old items were not found in a typical capsule or box.
"The contents were in a fabric-wrapped container that looked like a piece of canvas, sort of an olive green much, like you would find on a tent," she says.
Inside officials found, among other things, newspapers, a K Book, and class schedule. Monday, UK will place the capsule back in the ground with similar items from 2014, and some new items including information about Dance Blue and the 75th anniversary brochure of the student center.
The ceremony is set for 10:30 on the lawn behind the William T. Young Library.
The new capsule will feature a marker.