Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Mon October 1, 2012
UK QB Max Smith Out Indefinitely
LEXINGTON, Ky. - UK Coach Joker Phillips says he refuses to believe that his team is “snake-bit”, despite learning Monday that starting quarterback Max Smith is out indefinitely with a torn ligament in his ankle.
The injury happened early in last week’s game against South Carolina.
"He's down, obviously. He has worked his tail off to get in the position to be playing major college football...and he was a guy that wasn't signed until March after his senior year of football. Not only has he worked hard to be able to play, he's playing at a high level also", Phillips said.
That means true freshman Jalen Whitlow will assume the starting role with fellow newcomer Patrick Towles serving as his backup.
"We'll have to play them both", Phillips said during his weekly press conference. "It's going to take an effort of both of them. And it could be right in the middle of the series. If it's not series to series, it could be play after play after play, switching them in and out, give them things that they both can do, give them a chance to go out and play and compete."
UK hosts Mississippi State this Saturday afternoon at Commonwealth Stadium. Kickoff is at 12:20.