Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue April 23, 2013
UK Provost Finalist Candidate Stresses Campus Conversation In First Forum
LEXINGTON, Ky. - University of Kentucky faculty, staff, and students got their first look at provost candidate Dr. Jose Bermudez Tuesday at the first of three forums with the finalists for the position.
Born in Bogota, Colombia and educated in philosophy at the University of Cambridge, Dr. Bermudez spoke Tuesday – in his British accent, as he explained early on – to a crowd of over 50 at UK.
As provost, Bermudez said his first order of business would be to foster a campus-wide conversation about UK’s academic identity, climate, and the resource model needed to achieve its goals. He also stressed getting away from dependence on tuition increases.
"The business model of transferring the costs of education on to students paying tuition is not one in my view that is sustainable for a long period of time. It's pretty much close to being broken," Bermudez told the audience.
Bermudez has served as a dean at Texas A&M and as Director of the Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology Program at Washington University in St. Louis. He also worked on the faculty of the University of Stirling in Scotland.
A forum will be held Wednesday afternoon at 4 for the second provost finalist candidate, Nancy Brickhouse.