Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue February 14, 2012
UK Heart Transplant Support Group Celebrates Valentine's Day
Members of a heart transplant support group met for a special Valentine's Day celebration at UK hospital Tuesday.
"Organ donation saves lives," Dr. Charles Shelton, a recovering heart transplant patient at UK, ended his speech at the Valentine's Day get-together of the Heart to Heart support group. They meet to share stories, update each other, and become part of a community. Peter Forman has undergone multiple heart procedures at UK and says there's no substitute for one-on-one conversation with people who have first-hand experience.
"The doctor can't tell you what you're going to go through. Scientifically, they can, but hearing it from a person who's gone through it physically and emotionally really does help out," he says.
UK HealthCare performed 12 heart transplants, along with 22 VAD or Ventricular Assist Devices, in 2011.