Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon November 10, 2008
UK Establishes Diabetes And Obesity Center
By WUKY Staff
Lexington, KY – For two decades the Barnstable Brown Derby Eve Charity Gala in Louisville has benefited diabetes research. For the next three years, UK officials and the Barnstable Brown family say the new center will be the party's sole beneficiary. UK executive vice president for health affairs Dr. Michael Karpf says the university will now be able to do even more cutting edge research on a persistent Kentucky health issue.
Kentucky ranks number 7 in the U-S for prevalence of both diabetes and obesity. The Barnstable Brown family has already given one million dollars for the center to date, and has pledged another million dollars in the upcoming months. Based on previous years, the family estimates the Gala will provide the center with between 1.5 and 3 million per year for the next three years.