Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TOMORROW!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Fri March 2, 2012
UK Cancels Classes After 3 p.m. Friday
LEXINGTON, Ky. The threat of severe weather has prompted the University of Kentucky to cancel classes. A release from the UK Administration states:
The National Weather Service has issued a severe weather warning for the central Kentucky that includes heavy rain, lightning, significant wind, hail and possible tornados. This storm is expected to be its strongest between 4:00 and 8:00 p.m. In anticipation of this weather and the safety of all students and employees, the University of Kentucky is releasing all employees, except essential personnel, and canceling all classes and activities as of 3:00 p.m. for the remainder of the evening.
Supervisors should use their judgment in releasing employees earlier in the event they must travel further distances. Anyone remaining on campus after 3:00 p.m. should use extreme caution during the storm and seek identified safety shelters.
Hospitals and Clinics will remain open.
WUKY has also confirmed that Kentucky U-S Senator Rand Paul's scheduled 4 p.m. speech in the Whitehall classroom building has been cancelled.