Most Active Stories
- Get ready... here comes the next WUKY Phoenix Friday... This Friday... featuring Ben Sollee.
- Electricians Aren't Magicians, But Their Rabbits Disappear, Too
- Opening Date For Urban Outfitters, Midway Program Announcement And Country Boy On BizLexChat
- Distillery District Abuzz, Ky. Companies Cash In At Valhalla, On BizLexChat
- Picnic With The Pops To Feature Songs Of Elton John
Tue November 19, 2013
U-S Supreme Court Rejects Capozzi Escape Appeal
A federal inmate with Mafia ties who escaped custody while in Kentucky has lost an appeal before the U.S. Supreme Court.
The justices on Monday turned away the case of 40-year-old Derek Albert Capozzi. Capozzi was sentenced to 51 months for escaping while being transferred to a federal prison in Pennsylvania. Capozzi later pleaded guilty.
He is also serving 23 years for his role in the 1996 killing and dismemberment of a potential government witness in Massachusetts and time in another case.
Capozzi had been in Kentucky to testify at a trial but he managed to escape custody by breaking out of the back of a transport van just outside of Versailles in Woodford County.
The U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld Capozzi's conviction and sentence in July.
Capozzi is in a federal prison in Florence, Colo. His projected release date is Jan. 13, 2050.