Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri December 5, 2008
Two Kentucky Lawmakers Absent As Big Three Return To DC
By Kentucky Public Radio- Capitol News Connection
Washington, DC – Yesterday the heads of Chrysler, Ford and GM told the Senate Banking Committee they want thirty four billion dollars from taxpayers. Twenty one senators serve on the committee, including Kentucky's Jim Bunning. He wasn't there. His staff said his schedule wouldn't allow it. This morning the heads of the big three are on the! House side . . . testifying before Financial Services. Kentucky Congressman Geoff Davis is on that committee. He's back in Kentucky . . . on a staff retreat. The industry supports about sixty five thousand jobs in Kentucky. Many experts say the collapse of the auto giants will send ripples through the US economy. Both lawmakers say they'll be back in Washington next week if they are needed for a vote on the bailout.
For Kentucky Public Radio, I'm Matt Laslo, Capitol News Connection, Washington.