Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue September 11, 2012
Trustees Approve Shriners/UK Healthcare Collaboration Plan
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The University of Kentucky Board of Trustees has approved a plan that would result in the relocation of Shriners Hospitals for Children from its current site on Richmond Road, to a new facility near the UK Campus.
“We’ve been in informal talks for well over a year and as things progressed and evolved, today is a landmark that will move us forward to more specific planning and implementation of this wonderful project", said Shriners Hospital Lexington Administrator Tony Lewgood.
UK Vice President for Health Affairs, Michael Karpf said the Shriners/UK deal will advance patient care across the region.
“We focus in on things that no one else can do…pediatric orthopedics, we’re the only ones that do that in this area. And I think that allows us to strengthen it so we’ll be serving not only Kentucky, but also West Virginia, parts of Ohio and Tennessee.”
UK and Shriners officials say they hope to finalize a development plan, including leasing agreements, later this year or early next year.