Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Tue August 11, 2009
Transportation Chief Stepping Down Soon
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – "With much regret, today I accept the resignation of my friend, Joe Prather, as secretary of the Transportation Cabinet."
Gov. Beshear says Secretary Prather, who's nearly 70, just wants to spend more time with his wife Jennie, their children and grandchildren. Beshear says Prather never intended to remain in the administration for the governor's complete tenure. "He simply has nothing else to prove. And with that, I couldn't agree more."
Beshear says Prather has cleaned-up the cabinet, which the governor once called a "cesspool of cronyism," and has made it more cost effective and efficient. Beshear has named State Highway Engineer Mike Hancock, a career employee of the cabinet, acting secretary.