Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon February 27, 2012
Trainer John Ward To Head Up Kentucky Horse Racing Commission
Governor Steve Beshear has announced the appointment of veteran Thoroughbred trainer John Ward as the new executive director of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.
Ward, who along with his wife Donna operate John T. Ward Stables in Paris, Ky., as well as training and racing operations in New York and Florida, will assume his new role April 1. He succeeds Lisa Underwood who resigned in November 2011 to return to private law practice.
The 66 year old Ward guided Monarchos to victory in 2001. He has also trained winners in the Kentucky Oaks and Breeders’ Cup.
Ward currently serves as a commissioner on the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, but a news release says he will resign from that post in order to accept the executive director position.
Ward says he will also give up his Kentucky trainer’s license once he takes over the job.