Most Active Stories
- Junior League Show Spotlights Different Kind Of Horse, Rider
- Will The Building Boom Continue In Downtown Lexington?
- Bunbury and Buckle Up Music Festivals present... WUKY's Phoenix Fridays
- "Leaky Bucket" Report Finds Progress In Ky. Spending Trends
- Parents Rally To Keep Jacobson Park Playground Creative
Wed November 19, 2008
Toyota Plant Announces Layoffs
By Kentucky Public Radio
Georgetown, KY – The plant makes the Camry, Avalon and Solara, as well as the new Venza crossover and employs about seven-thousand permanent workers. The production lines for the Camry and Avalon will be pared back starting in mid-December. Plant spokesperson Rick Hesterberg says they've been given no indication of when production might pick back up.
"We're hopeful that sometime in the next year, that we'll see something positive come of it, but really it's anybody's guess right now."
About half the plant's 500-temporary workers will be laid off in the next couple of months as well. Camry sales were down 13-percent in October.