Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is July 25 with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- 6th District Hopeful Elisabeth Jensen Moves Into New Headquarters
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri May 17, 2013
Tourism Secretary Sparrow Stepping Down
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- A member of Gov. Steve Beshear's cabinet, Tourism, Arts and Heritage Secretary Marcheta Sparrow, is retiring at the end of May.
A statement from Beshear's office on Friday said Sparrow plans to spend more time with her family, pursue new interests and become more involved in her hometown of Harrodsburg.
Beshear's statement said Sparrow began her career as a tour guide at the Kentucky Capitol. She went on to hold management positions at the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, Louisville Convention and Visitors Bureau, Kentucky Derby Festival and Frankfort Tourism Commission. Before being named secretary in December 2007, Sparrow spent nine years as president and CEO of the Kentucky Tourism Council, now the Kentucky Travel Industry Association.
Beshear credited Sparrow's leadership for recent growth in the economic impact of tourism.