Most Active Stories
- Next WUKY Phoenix Friday is TODAY!... with Englishman, Small Batch & Saintseneca!
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
- Satirical Senate Campaign After Laughs, Real Reforms
Wed October 28, 2009
There's A Riot Goin' On - The Question Is Why?
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Is bad food why Northpoint prison inmates went on a rampage that left six buildings destroyed by fire and several inmates and staff with minor injuries? That was the question asked of Corrections Commissioner LaDonna Thompson by several lawmakers, including Rep. Stan Lee of Lexington. "I find it hard to believe that having a bad hotdog would cause people to riot," said Lee. "I have not seen the final report. That is exactly why we had called in a Critical Incident Review Team," replied Thompson.
Thompson expects a final report from the review team within the next couple of weeks. The state began outsourcing food preparation at the prison in 2005. Other possible causes of the riot include gang violence and prison yard restrictions.