Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Mon December 9, 2013
Texas Company Wants To Build IMAX Theater Near Rupp
A Texas company wants to build an IMAX theater near Rupp Arena in downtown Lexington.
Dallas-based Look Cinemas has an option to buy property close to the arena, the Lexington Herald-Leader reports. The company's preliminary plans call for an IMAX theater and multiplex with 10 additional movie screens, along with an upscale restaurant.
"We think this is going to be tremendous economic benefit to the community and will continue the revitalization to this whole downtown area," said Chris Westover, an attorney representing the company.
The deal includes relocating an 1808 home to another property. Westover said the company needs to get approval from the Board of Architectural Review to remove the historic home. It also needs approval for the overall design of the theater.
Westover said construction could begin in late 2014 if the architectural review board gives its approval.
The company is expected to present initial designs to the board at its January meeting, he said.
Look Cinemas will not need to get a zoning change for the property.
Westover said initial plans involve 100 underground parking spaces at the theater. The group also is trying to work out agreements with the Lexington Center and Rupp Arena to use parking facilities across the street.