Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed April 10, 2013
Supt. Young Leaving Jessamine County For Chief Academic Officer Job At FCPS
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The long-time Superintendent of Jessamine County Public Schools is leaving that post to accept a new role as Chief Academic Officer of Fayette County Public Schools. Lu Young was recruited by FCPS Superintendent Tom Shelton to oversee all programs of student performance and achievement. He says there is nobody better to handle the newly created office.
“Her 30 years of experience in all aspects of curriculum, instruction and assessment pretty well made her stand out above everyone else and made it basically an easy selection," Shelton said.
Shelton says he created the post because currently 7 people report to him on such issues and he wanted one team leader.
“What I am doing is creating a position where those seven people will report to this new position. This position will be directly responsible for moving, you know, we all are responsible for moving student achievement forward but she’ll be our lead person named here in the district to help us move that forward.”
Young was named Kentucky School Superintendent of the Year for 2011 and will now report to Shelton, the 2010 state Superintendent of the Year. She starts the new job July first.