Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Wed March 24, 2010
Superintendents Could Choose School Principals
By Stu Johnson
FRANKFORT, Ky. -- – The Kentucky Senate wants to change how public school principals are hired.
Currently, each school's site based council selects the principal. Under a bill approved Tuesday, the council would choose from a list of three names. If no decision is made within three weeks, the school superintendent would have the final say.
Russell Springs Senator Vernie MaGaha believes the superintendent should play a role in the hiring process.
"He is the CEO of the district but he [currently] has no control over the people who are hired out in those schools to implement educational policy."
The school principal selection provision was attached to a House bill that designates the last Wednesday in August as Kentucky Literacy Day.' The Senate approved the amended bill by a 19 to 14 vote. It now goes back to the House.