Most Active Stories
- Thank you for coming to the latest WUKY Phoenix Friday... Up next... August 22.
- Fresh Housing Numbers, New Eatery On Richmond Road, & West Sixth News On BizLexChat
- Join WUKY And NPR For The 2014 Newport Folk Festival
- Robert Plant "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar"
- Pop Bottle Bombs Found At Area High Schools, Student Activities Canceled
Fri February 26, 2010
Stumbo Offers Schools - Universities Counter-proposal
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Two percent cuts to universities and community colleges aren't sitting well with the presidents of the schools, who say layoffs may be unavoidable. But House Speaker Greg Stumbo says these are tough times and there must be shared sacrifice. "If we restore the funding, then we ought make them hold the tuition levels at the same levels that they are right now. If we restore the funding, that ought to be the goal. And we ought to require them to improve their graduation rate."
Senate President David Williams agrees, saying there must be shared sacrifice. He says he doesn't think anyone really believes a two percent reduction in funding to any organization should affect its operations in any meaningful way.